Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Vacation

This is the first time I've been home for Thanksgiving in four years.  Last year was spent alone in the cafeteria of the Smithsonian (Air and Space after seeing the just re-opened American History museum with Nick), and then falling ill with the flu on the couch with boxed mashed potatoes.  The two years before that were spent working at Coffee Bean and in my empty house.  Though I had some great times all three of those years (vegan Thanksgiving/Top Chef marathon, cooking a midnight Thanksgiving for the Bacara waiters, adventures in DC), I've really missed being home.

You'd think it's no big deal that I'm home.  I've been here since June and I am more than ready to leave.  But there is something about Thanksgiving in Chico that is so great.  The students are out of town and all the locals return from their new towns.  The weather is nice and the park is beautiful.  People walk around and you just know they're in a great mood.  It's like a scene out of a cheesy movie.

The real reason it's so great to be here for Thanksgiving is all the friends that aren't around the rest of the year.  The last few Thanksgivings have seen me quite depressed and I know that's because I've spent them so alone.  This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for all the amazing friends I have.  Though I can't be with them all the time, I know they're out there.  I'm going to miss everyone when I move across the country, but I'm also so excited to start new in a city I adore.  But it is so great to know that I have Chico to come back to for the holidays.

I don't know when the next time I'll make it back to Chico for Thanksgiving will be, so I will be sure to enjoy it so much.

2 comments:

  1. I love how you write your mind! maybe I should refrase that, 'I love how much you think and what you remember'. you are good at remembering signigicant events which tie a big gap in time together, that is hard to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for being my only reader Preston!!

    ReplyDelete